SAFETY is everyone’s responsibility.
Eye and ear protection are mandatory for all persons while participating or observing anywhere on the shooting courses. Earmuffs are encouraged when firing all center fire rifles and pistols
- Shotguns shall not be loaded until the shooter has completely entered the shooting station or position and the gun barrel is pointed down range.
- No more than two shells may be loaded in the gun at one time. Shooter must ensure that the gun is unloaded prior to leaving the shooting position.
- Breeches and actions must remain open at all times when in hand and the shooter is out of the shooting station.
- Break actions may be closed in a gun rack but the bolt of a semi automatic must be open in a rack.
- Shot shell pellet size larger than number 7 ½ is prohibited for all shooting activities.
- The Pistol Range is provided for Smoke Rise Members and their Accompanied Guests only.
- The first shooter on the range will be designated the Range Master. Shooting will commence and cease on his or her command.
- All weapons will be unloaded prior to any activity downrange with actions, cylinders or breaches open and empty.
- In the event of a jam or malfunction, a shooter must call for a cease fire and safely deal with the problem while pointing the muzzle down range.
- There are to be no more than two active shooters on the Pistol Range at one time and they must use the designated firing line.
- Shots are to be taken at paper or reactive metal targets only. Target ammo only will be used on metal targets. High-performance self defense or hunting ammo will be used only on paper targets.
- .22 caliber rim fire rifles are permitted on the Pistol Range. All rules above apply.
- Magnum pistols, or heavy-caliber, open-sight, short-range, hunting rifles are permitted only after notifying the Club Manager, Range Master and other shooters/observers in order to further protect hearing. Such weapons shall be fired at paper targets only.
- Police all spent brass and place it in receptacle provided
- Fully automatic weapons are prohibited.
- The Rifle Range is provided as a convenience to Smoke Rise Members and their Accompanied Guests only for the shooting of hunting and target rifles only. Shotgun usage is the priority at Smoke Rise.
- Rifle Range use shall be scheduled with the Club Manager/Range Safety Officer whose discretion is absolute.
- Each scheduled session shall be limited to a maximum 10 shots.
- Any weapon which can be configured to fire in a “fully automatic mode” is prohibited. The Club Manger must approve all rifles and ammunition to be shot. His discretion is absolute.
- All rifles will be unloaded prior to any activity downrange.
- There is to be only one active rifle shooter on the range at a time and he or she must use the designated firing line.
- Target stands are designed to use 18″ x 14″ paper targets. Shots are be taken at paper targets mounted in the designated target stands only.
- Typical hunting or target ammunition only will be used: No non-typical ammo such as armor piercing, steel core, tracer or incendiary rounds are allowed.
Cart Safety Rules
- No golf carts on the Ridge course.
- Operators must be at least 18 years of age, have a valid driver’s license and been checked out on proper operation by the Club Manager before traversing the Ridge course.
- Polaris UTVs must be operated in low-range, AWD mode at all times.
- Engage the parking break whenever you stop the vehicle; chock the wheels as well when stopping on a hill.
- When starting on a hill, with your left foot on the brake give the cart just enough gas to engage the centrifugal clutch, then release the parking brake and proceed up the hill. Do not allow the cart to roll backwards before starting up the hill.
- Keep the vehicle well away from the downhill edge of the road.
- Dead slow when descending the hill. Keep the engine speed up slightly so as to engage the centrifugal clutch, which will then provide engine breaking. Use your left foot on the brake peddle to provide additional conventional breaking.
- If you bypass a group ahead of you on the Ridge course, shoot any make up stations on the Valley course. Do not make two trips around the Ridge course.